Articles: The King Think Tank blog showcases commentaries, analyses, and opinion pieces on past and current issues of any nature, so long as the article’s topic falls broadly under one of our policy centres’ specialty.
Policy recommendations: The Spectrum is King’s Think Tank annual policy journal, in which students publish policy recommendations on issues relevant to our policy centres’ specialties. The Spectrum is published both on paper and online. Contributors may find previous editions here.
- Blog posts should be written formally and range between 350 and 1,000 words. We accept a variety of styles – including interviews, policy critiques, and policy recommendations.
- Policy papers should be written formally and range between 1,500 and 2,000 words.
- The King’s Think Tank uses the Chicago style of referencing. Blogs should include a bibliography, and can include hyperlinks throughout, if desired.
- All illustrations (including photos, graphics, graphs, cartoons) should be in gif, png, jpg, or jpeg format. Illustrations must also be submitted with evidence that they are free to use (e.g. it is from copyright-free website, or the contributor has approval from its owner).
HOW TO SUBMIT
The submission process is roughly the same for both blogs and policy papers.
- Contributors must email their submission to the King’s Think Tank’s Head Editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The email subject title and file name must be ‘Blog Submission – [Name]’ or ‘Spectrum Submission – [Name],’ depending on whether you are submitting a blog post or policy recommendation, respectively.
- In the email, students should include their name, degree, and year of study.
- Within two weeks of submission, the article or paper will be returned with feedback from the editorial team.
- It is the contributor’s responsibility to review, amend, and return the submission accordingly.
- If the contributor has any questions, they should consult the Head Editors at email@example.com.
DEADLINES FOR EXTERNAL SUBMISSIONS
- Deadline for The Spectrum 2020: 10th April, 2020.
- There are no deadlines for blogs, which are published throughout the year.
PUBLISHING ETHICS & DISCLAIMERS
These apply to both the blog posts and the policy papers.
- Contributors are entirely responsible for the accuracy of their work.
- The King’s Think Tank condemns any use of plagiarism, which undermines the credibility of both the contributor and our institution. Contributor’s are entirely responsible for any accusations of plagiarism.
- The King’s Think Tank moderates all comments on the blog, and welcomes any report on offensive or inappropriate behaviour.
- The views expressed in both the blog and The Spectrum are uniquely their authors’ and do not represent King’s Think Tank. Our purpose is to create a platform from which students may communicate diverse and well-informed commentaries and policy proposals.
SOME THOUGHTS ON STYLE
- Aim to use clear, concise, accurate, and accessible vocabulary. Short words are better than long words.
- Avoid the passive voice.
- Longer posts are not necessarily the best.
- Have fun writing!